Monday, August 24, 2009

How to have fun

I followed the same path - no, street - yes, street -
down Myrtle (named after the tree, pink crepe)
peddling on my old friend's Schwinn, lavender:
now with a deep, black, metal basket attached.
My mutt, my ten pound Toto-like mix,
sitting on a rug I folded into the basket's bottom.

It was not an easy start, nor did I think it would be.
At once she hopped out, flipped over, then stared.
I was certain it was time. Lifted her onto the rug.
Like a baby she stiffened her back legs at my request,
"Sit. Sit, Baby, sit." Weaving through the yard
over the St. Augustine. She crouched and held on to the wire.

This is the beginning. I knew it was time
to exercise, exorcise. I peddled and she sat.
Her head grey, little hand-like paws secure.
We will ride down Myrtle, and have already,
many more times. It' s a stunning boulevard
first thing in the morning and in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment